2020-21 Family and School Compact
New Heights Charter School 2020-21
When you joined New Heights Charter School of Brockton, you joined a team. The school and the families of all students agree that this compact outlines how families, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and families will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve the State’s high standards.
HIGH QUALITY EDUCATION
1. We will work tirelessly to ensure that our students get the excellent education they deserve. We will neither make nor accept excuses.
2. We will work longer school day, longer school year, offer students extra help and support, and always offer our students the best we have.
3. We will assign quality classwork and homework on a daily basis to reinforce and support skills and concepts learned in class.
4. We will ensure that all teachers are certified in the subject-matter and working toward highly- qualified status.
5. We will support students with excellent teaching and additional help during the school day and after/before school as needed.
6. We will always work to provide a safe learning environment. We will always work to protect the safety, dignity and rights of all individuals.
7. While enrolled in college courses, all Early College Scholars will receive high-quality and appropriate academic advising, monitoring, mentoring, and coaching to ensure academic and
RESPECT and FAIRNESS
8. We will encourage and respect every student. We will listen to students and their needs. We will not tolerate students disrespecting each other.
9. We will teach and enforce the core values of New Heights consistently and fairly. We will communicate with families when students fail to meet expectations just as when they exceed expectations. Decisions, including consequences, will be made in the best interest of our students.
10. We will communicate regularly with families about their child’s progress and make ourselves available in person and on the phone.
11. We will return phone calls and e-mails as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
ATTENDANCE and PROMOTION
1. I will ensure that my child comes to school every day either at 7:45am to begin the day’s
2. I will not schedule family vacations during school time. I will do my best to schedule
important appointments for out of school time.
3. I will make alternative transportation plans if my child is required to stay at school until 5:00pm (Monday-Thursday).
4. I understand that my child will be automatically retained if he/she fails 2 or more core academic classes, or is absent for more than 20 days of the school year. If my child fails 1 class, he/she must successfully complete a summer program in order to be promoted.
HOMEWORK and ACADEMIC SUPPORT
5. I will provide a place to study and see that my student completes his/her homework regularly.
6. I will help my child study for tests and quizzes and give them support when they need help and praise when they do well.
7. I will work to create and continue a partnership with New Heights to focus on the common goal of attaining college success for my child(ren).
BEHAVIOR and DRESS CODE
8. I understand that my child may serve a detention and/or Friday extension if he/she receives DeansList referral.
9. I understand that the school follows a strict bullying prevention and intervention plan and if my child violates that plan they will consequences stated in that plan.
10. If my student serves an out-of-school suspension, I will come to school to discuss an appropriate reentry plan.
11. I will send my child in proper dress code every day. If my child arrives out of uniform, he/she will receive a detention.
FAMILY SUPPORT and COMMUNICATION
12. I agree to work to as part of a team for the academic success & behavioral growth of my child. I will return phone calls, review & sign documentation sent home including progress reports & merit Reports. I will attend parent-teacher conferences and meetings about my child.
EFFORT and HELP
1. I understand that my education is paramount. Being a student is my job. I will always work, think and behave in the best way I know how.
2. I will do whatever it takes for my fellow students and me to learn. I will work to exceed the school’s expectations.
3. If I need help, I will ask for it. If I can give help, I will give it. I won’t criticize other students. COLLEGE PREPAREDNESS
4. While enrolled in classes at New Heights, I will work to ensure academic and personal success in order to best prepare me for college. ATTENDANCE and UNIFORM
5. I will come to school and ready to learn by 7:45am.
6. If I need to miss class or school, I will ask for and make up all assignments. I will stay after school if/when I am required to do so.
7. I will wear the proper uniform everyday and remain in uniform throughout the day. COMMUNICATION
8. I will listen to directions. I will read and re-read directions before asking for help. If I cannot solve the problem myself, I will raise my hand and ask for help. I will help my classmates if they need help. I will not make excuses. I will be honest with my teachers and myself.
RESPONSIBILITY and HONESTY
9. If I make a mistake, I will tell the truth and accept responsibility for my actions. I will do the right thing, even when no one is watching.
10. I will respect my teachers, my peers and myself. I will refrain from all disrespectful behavior.
11. I understand our core values and will embody them every day. I will follow the school rules to protect the safety and rights of all individuals and not detract from the educational opportunities of others. I’ll accept the consequences if I don’t meet academic and behavioral expectations.
School-Family Compact Signature Page
School Year 2019-2020
PLEASE RETURN ONLY THIS SIGNATURE PAGE TO YOUR STUDENT’S Teacher.
Keep the School-Family Compact for reference. New Heights Charter School, the students, and their families agree that this compact outlines how the school staff, families and students will share the responsibility for student academic achievement. It describes how the school and families will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve the state’s high standards and college readiness.
Please review this School-Family Compact with your child. This compact will be discussed with you throughout the year as we work together to help your child succeed in school.
Please sign and date below to acknowledge that you have received, read, and agree to this
School-Family Compact and Parental Involvement Policy. Once signed, please return this form to
your student's teacher.
We look forward to our school-family partnership!
School Representative Signature: _____________________________ _Date: ___________
Parent/Guardian Signature: _________________________________ __Date: __________
Student Signature: __________________________________________ Date:___________